Wednesday, November 18, 2009

In which I get back to the grind!

I am back to my midwifery studies after taking a break. We had a family situation that required my full attention; things seem to be back to normal now. I missed learning. I put away my midwifery books and instead read some really stupid novels that I did not enjoy although the reviewers on amazon.com seemed to love them. There's no accounting for taste, apparently.


Something did happen while I was on my break, which was that I attended an interventive birth -- and I didn't feel that upset about it. Normally I feel icky after attending a hospital birth like that. This time I was still so wrapped up in my own situation that I didn't feel much of anything. And that was a blessing. Taking a step back emotionally from my doula clients and their births was a positive experience. After all, they are hiring me because I'm a birth professional, and professionals are able to draw the line.


Today is MAC day. I'm not sure what the acronym stands for -- the M is midwives or midwifery -- but it's for all the South Carolina midwives and two of my friends will be taking their oral exam, the last part of licensure for South Carolina. I wanted to go but paying for all-day babysitting is prohibitively expensive and Dustin doesn't have any more time off work this year (although he will probably be furloughed again in December. Suck.) I'll try to get there next year. I do want to see the peer review process.

So I'm back to the grind. Which means that I'm writing this while Sydney sits in my lap and the dog chews something and I hope that we will all (except the boys) get naps today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment