Thursday, June 25, 2009

Along with "a housekeeper" "a laundress" and "a mansion on the beach with private surfing lessons given by Laird Hamilton,"...

Recently I've been fantasizing about all the midwifery items I'd purchase if I won the lottery. Most of what I want is books, as midwifery texts cost a freaking fortune. Most of them are in the $50-ish range, which isn't too awful, but some, like "Midwifery: Community Based Healthcare During the Childbearing Year," is $135. Myles Textbook for Midwives is over $70. I'm just thinking about the NARM primary reference list, although I know I'll come across many more books and texts that I want as I progress through AAMI. In my dreams I own most -- if not all -- of them, and have extra copies of books that I think are helpful for clients, like The Nursing Mother's Companion, The Baby Book, The No-Cry Sleep Solution, Attachment Parenting, etc.

Other than books I'd love the following:


1. A one-handed bp cuff. Oh, to me, that is the height of luxury. Whenever I take blood pressure, I feel like I have two left arms, I'm craning my neck around to read the sphyg, and all the cords are in the way. This one would be so nice.

2. A Littmann stethoscope. My friend Amy works in a hospital and I'm always asking her to steal me one; it seems like they're everywhere. You can hear so clearly with them. I don't even know why I bought my $20 sphyg/stethoscope set, since it's so quiet that I usually use Leigh's (slightly more expensive) set anyway.

3. A Leff fetoscope. It looks like just a regular fetoscope, but it's actually $300. They have really incredible sound quality, and actually block out other noises. They are supposed to actually rival a doppler, which would be fantastic for clients who want to limit u/s exposure. I'd like to try one before purchasing it, but if I really won the lottery, what's $300?

4. A birth stool. This one just looks so comfy and perfect for giving birth. Much better than a toilet.

5. An iPhone. You're thinking, this has nothing to do with midwifery, right? But you're totally wrong! Just check out these applications for it: iPregnancy, OB Patient Tracker, Due Date Calc, Bishops Score Calculator, and Weight Converter. Not to mention the GPS, huge amount of storage space for all my clients' info, and internet. I WILL HAVE ONE!

6. That tree in our backyard. Except $100s on it, instead of $1s (lame!) Although I'd take a few branches of $1s. Beggars can't be choosers, right?

7. While I'm in fantasy mode, a day with more than 24 hours in it (in which I still need only 8 hours of sleep -- or less!) Sometimes it seems like there's more to do than there is time to do it and still see my family. I am definitely starting to see the push-pull of the working mom. On one hand, sometimes I miss my family. On the other hand, I feel that what I'm doing is so important -- for me, and for the women I help, and even for society -- that I need to do it and I need to do it NOW. I cannot wait or put it off til my children are adults.



2 comments:

Intertwined said...

My midwife has an iPhone and she's a freaking addict, I swear! I heart our iPod touch and it's the same thing sans phone.

C.C. said...

That birth stool makes me want to have another baby again, almost. A comfy, fun birthy thing I've never been able to use before!

Post a Comment